Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Savor and accumulate the small wisdom.....

The Buddha taught that ‘don’t do any evil even though it is considered to be a small matter; don’t stop doing good even though the good is small’.

Habitually, human beings like to do something in big scale especially in doing good. I assumed that it could satisfy the ego a lot. And sometimes we do something bad which we considered to be small matter and won’t affect anything much. But when all of this becomes habit, and we keep habitually behave in such a manner; slowly the effect of what we did accumulate and the ripples or after effect could be a huge one.

This time, I am not talking about doing good or bad. What I would like to explore is more in wisdom gain from being aware regarding the operation of the mind.

I also have a tendency to get something big. I like to have deep and big insights. If I don’t get any ‘big or impressive’ results from my awareness and mindfulness practice, I would consider myself as not progressing. In truth, this is an inaccurate attitude.

What has change the idea is when I learned from a dhamma discussion with the teacher last night. The teacher encourages us to practice and be happy with the small wisdom we get every day. He said that one or two small wisdom a day is good enough. When we have accumulated this for a long time, then we have a big wisdom bank. He also commented that many of us only want big wisdom, and don’t want the small wisdom. It is quite a tough job as we have been operating from ignorance for such a long time.

So, he advises us to savor the small wisdom we get and reflect on what wisdom we get every day.

This has been a very good reminder to me. Whatever wisdom that has been open up to me is good, no matter how small it is. In fact, ‘big’ or ‘small’ is only a judgment of the mind. What is important now is to keep go on, keep on practicing, wisdom will be the results when sufficient data has been collected.

Awareness, perseverance, effort, patience, wisdom will be the guiding light.

1 comment:

  1. one learning point - big is not better and small is not trivial

    ReplyDelete