Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Investigating into cultural beliefs....

One of my colleagues has resigned one month ago. Last week, my boss asked me to move to her sitting place. I have reluctantly done so because I have some view about that sitting place.

To my cultural beliefs, one must sit with a solid wall behind. This indicates that there will be solid support and one will have easier working life because one is supported from behind. And also, with that solid support, one can work longer in the company.

My existing sitting place has a brick wall behind which I considered to be very auspicious. The new sitting place only has a partition, which I deem as not as solid and stable as bricks. Therefore, I was quite reluctant and having some resistance to move.

In one evening sitting, this issue re-surfaces in the mind. While having more awareness and alertness, the mind is able to see this is just a thought going on in the mind, a belief, to be more accurate.

This belief normally comes from the Chinese background. At the sitting moment, the mind is able to contemplate more impartially. And it could see that if I were not being brought up from a Chinese background, I won’t have that kind of thought. I will just move into the sitting place, and sitting there or sitting here will not make much difference. Few of my Malay colleagues are sitting with the partition at their back, and they are doing quite well.

However, there were two Chinese colleagues who sit at the same row and both have resigned. This makes me ponder further. It seems like what Chinese believed did happen to the Chinese. What is being emphasis here is not whether the belief is true or false. What more interest me is the understanding that while coming from the same cultural background, being brought up with the same cultural thinking, we seems to be affected by the cultural beliefs, regardless whether the beliefs have any value or truth in them. Those coming from different cultural background will not be affected by the beliefs of other culture.

It is interesting then, to be curious and more investigative on what our cultures belief. Why do they have certain kind of rites and rituals? Why do we have to follow them? It is not to belittle or look down on the culture and background we come from, but as a means to cultivate the mind to be more mature and inquisitive in order to grow in wisdom and following the path to liberation.

It is a wonderful and interesting journey, to be able to break off from views and beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. two things here...if all your colleagues resigned for the better.....then you should also sit there too....for it might be a lucky position!!The other thing is....all things you see are perceptions ,so you can actually create new perception....it can be a great mountain or even the great general Kwan Kung behind you!!...Good luck and happy creations....sifuhoh

    ReplyDelete