Friday, June 18, 2010

Healing vs Letting Go

We don’t really heal anything; we simply let it go.” -- Carl Jung

Read this phrase from an email today and it sounds so true to me. Many times, I have heard about healing. And from scientific view, stepping from curing to healing is a great advance.

However, deep in the mind, I have, to certain degree found that even healing is not so accurate. I come from a Buddhism background which advocate on non-self, impermanence and dukkha. While in non-self, there isn’t an entity, a soul, or a body. And everything is just flux that changes in an unbelievable fast rate.

And in recent teachings of all those famous master and spiritual advisers, they too, some how have taught that there is no ‘body’ which human has been taken it for real for ages. There is no a permanent mind or a human being that resides in this body.

In this case, I have found it very strange that some of my friends who have been walking in the journey for many years and telling every one who come into their domain that the world is not real are still seeking after healing, be it healing to the body or the mind or anything. On one hand, it was well understood (well, could be intellectual understanding) that mind and body of the person called ‘I’ is just what ‘I’ have taken for real. On the other hand, this ‘I’ still looking for something to heal itself. Isn’t it a conflict? It is like telling myself there is no ‘I’ or ‘me’, but I need to get myself heal. Who is getting heal and what is getting heal?

There is no ‘I’ but I have to…. So it appear very strange to me and I am not able to understand them. It is as if they are talking about going home is in this direction, they are going home soon. But what they do is walking on the opposite direction.

I am not saying that we can’t seek treatment if the body is sick. What I couldn’t understand is how they are still seeking after so many healing masters to heal what has been understood as not real. It is not about healing, it is about the mind state or grasping on the idea that healing needs to be done.

If one is talking about something and the action is on the opposite, it could be that person has not understood what he/she said fully. It takes wisdom to discern whether to blindly believe what has been said, or take another way and discard what is not beneficial.

What Carl Jung said is agreeable to what has been understood, we don’t really heal anything, as there is nothing to be healed.

1 comment:

  1. The word "healing" in its original sense goes beyond physicality. Unlike curing which involves settling the symptom instead of its cause, healing goes beyond that. It is the healing of mind and body.

    Probably your idea of healing is what you need to resolve to come into your own space of peace.

    Though in Buddhism I don't remember seeing the word healing as much as in the teaching of Yeshua, yet it does not mean that healing does not exist. For instance, to me, the word "deny" used by Yeshua is similar to the word ignore (or moha) in Buddhism. If my mind is biased on either of the teaching, I would have missed the point here.

    Many philosopher has referred the Buddha as a 'therapist" - from the root word "therapein" to mean healer and initiator - initiating one into the meaning of life and suffering. If this is true, the Buddha is a great healer - introducing the systematic step of the Four Nobel Truth to release one from suffering.

    On another note, Byron Katie who is so much in her own awakening path did encourage others to take medicine if there is a necessity. Isn't that giving meaning to the body? Not so, as so long as there is a body for us to take charge of and has not learn the skill of elevating the discomfort through creation or affirmation, medicine is a good resort instead of mental suffering!

    As you have correctly said, our understanding at this level of body is not real is only intellectual and so long as we are not there, the body is still real to us! But of course it is a choice of your practise - to work on the body towards the direction of the mind, as like in yoga, or to work on the mind towards the body. Both are valid spiritual practise, at least to me.

    Body and mind is not separated and thus to work holistically towards freedom is utmost important. Having a body that is at dis-ase is not fun!

    ReplyDelete